quinta-feira, 24 de setembro de 2015

Depoimento sobre a ciência de hoje


Chamaram-me a atenção para este depoimento de um neurocientista da Duke University que deixou voluntariamente de o ser no Facebook:

This week, I resigned from my position at Duke University with no intent to solicit employment in state-funded academic research positions in any foreseeable future. Many reasons have motivated this choice, starting with personal ones: I will soon be a father and want to be spending time with my son at home.
Other reasons have to do with research academia itself. Throughout the years, I have been discovering more and more of the inner workings of academia and how modern scientific research is done and I have acquired a certain degree of discouragement in face of what appears to be an abandonment by my research community of the search for knowledge. I found scientists to be more preoccupied by their own survival in a very competitive research environment than by the development of a true understanding of the world.
By creating a highly-competitive environment that relies on the selection of researchers based on their "scientific productivity," as it is referred to, we have populated the scientific community with what I like to call "chickens with no head," that is, researchers who can produce multiple scientific articles per year, none of which with any particularly important impact on our understanding of the world. Because of this, science is moving forward similarly to how a headless chicken walks, with no perceivable goal.
(...)
Ler mais aqui:

https://www.facebook.com/jfgariepyneuro/posts/466442776860755?fref=nf&pnref=story

Sem comentários:

DUZENTOS ANOS DE AMOR

Um dia de manhã, cheguei à porta da casa da Senhora de Rênal. Temeroso e de alma semimorta, deparei com seu rosto angelical. O seu modo...